San Giusto a Rentennano
San Giusto a Rentennano (a name of Etruscan origin) overlooks the upper course of Arbia river in the farthest south Chianti Classico wine zone. The estate began life as a medieval monastery of Cistercian nuns and was called San Giusto alle Monache (“of the Nuns”). The medieval estate of San Giusto a Rentennano came into the Martini di Cigala family through marriage in 1914. In 1957, it was inherited by Enrico Martini di Cigala and in 1992, by his nine children. Today Anna, Elisabetta, Lucia, Alessandro, Francesco and Luca are partners in the estate company.
The estate is comprised of 160 hectares, situated at an average altitude of 270 meters above sea level. 31 hectares are planted in vineyards, 11 in olive groves, 40 in woods, 78 in cultivated and grazing lands. The terrain is composed of various soils rich in different mineral components, sand, clay, lime, alkali, argil and calcium. The microclimate is characterized by considerable day and night temperature differences and often heat during harvest time. All the vineyards enjoy exceptionally favourable exposure. During the months of July and August, they thin-out the natural growth of grape bunches by 30-50%, a practice called “green harvesting”, which encourage the full and perfect maturation of our grapes. Their farming methods remain largely manual and exclusively organic certified.
In line with San Giusto a Rentennano’s organic principles and focus on sustainability, all packaging including bottles and cartons are easily recyclable and they are looking into the possibility of using lighter glass bottles in order to save energy during transport.
San Giusto a Rentennano is a family owned estate managed by Elisabetta, Francesco and Luca Martini di Cigala. In 1999, they hired the oenologist, Attilio Pagli, as consultant, and in 2007, the agronomist, Ruggero Mazzilli. Rosita Anichini plays a major role in the cellars and Isidoro Zerial, Iftiman Qovanaj and Mirko Mariottini in the vineyards and olive groves.